- 8 frozen or refrigerated biscuits
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chile
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped red & yellow peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese blend, such as Cheddar Jack or a similar combination (I like to use sharp)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
Brown sausage in a large skillet with onions, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. . Sprinkle the sausage mixture evenly over the biscuit layer. Add the vegetables and seasonings. Top with the cheese.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk with salt and pepper. Pour over the cheese layer. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until set. A knife should come out clean when inserted in the center.
Serve with sliced tomatoes or fresh salsa on the side. Serves 6 to 8.
(I like to omit the meat and just do peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach and any veggies I’m feelin…..I also like to cut the biscuits into fours)….This dish cuts really well and usually gets all gobbled up:) I have tried it with crumbled bacon which is really good too!!! Enjoy!
recipe adapted from about.com.